July 18, 2017

the spoken word can be cruel

It made me sad
and unwanted

cruel words
spoken
I wanted to go away
be somewhere else
For what did it matter
...
Words said
Was the meaning understood?
...
maybe not

I read
love is natural
hate is learned
I read
you never know
what impact
you'll have
on another
by what you do
or don't do.
I remember
cruel words
yelled
(when) as a teenager
(I yelled in anger)
at my mother.
I'm sure
looking back
she was sad,
disappointed.

No matter
what our age
in all of life
words spoken
to another
build up
tear down.

Sometimes
building ourselves up
is the way,
discovering
when you want to hide
there is no place
Have to keep going
Keep showing
Keep doing
Keep helping
Keep loving

Just like Jesus
hearing cruel words
bearing the brunt of every cruel deed
for what
for me
for you
because of his great love for us
he died
for us
It made His Father
sad
But He kept on
The greater good
far more important
than our own
feeling of self-worth.

(c) October 14, 2015
updated February 10, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment